Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Frownies

After you read this post, you will come to realize that I (when writing it) had a lack of motivation to do anything else. :) Let us begin...


At class yesterday, some of the students were having some trouble with adding. Specifically...

2x + 3x = 5x


Of course, most of the people in there haven't had algebra in at least five years (for some it has been more than twenty years).


So...

Mr. S: Two times the square root of two plus three times the square root of two equals...
All (I should say "Most"): Five times the square root of two.
Mr. S: Five smilies (draws a smilie next to the five) plus three smilies equals...
Me: None.
Dude behind me with a southern accent: Eight frownies.



So that was the highlight of my day besides the fact that I confirmed that I had a confirmation e-mail for CWIS.

No comments: