Saturday, June 2, 2007

"Hey Moe, we got a prooooblem..." "Whaddya mean, 'we got a prooooblem,'?"

I been thinking about posting this for a while, and the Patton/Halsey/O'Neill in me said, "post it, $#@%!"



So here I am.



I hate it when people ask me "the question".



"So, what do you want to do in life?"

It makes me uneasy real quick. You all know that I usually don't get uptight or uneasy when I'm talking to anybody, but when someone asks me "the question" I go berserk inside because I'm trying to think up a way to get out of answering the question.

The first part of the answer isn't too bad. Most people are okay with it.

"Well I'd like to go into the Navy..."

The second part triggers the reaction...

"as a career." (and I don't even dare mention that I'm interested in unconventional things)

I've received a plethora of responses from people with just the first part of the answer:

1) A genuine response of acceptance.
2) An "okay," which is just fine.
3) "Oh."
4) "Why?"
5) "Oh, you must have your parents worried to death!"
6) A look that blatantly says, "why in the hell would you do that?"

You guys also know that I really don't care when people disagree with me on certain things. But with this, I can't reason with them or get angry at them (and I shouldn't get angry with anybody else). So instead of getting angry at them or debating (in a sense), I get edgy and nervous, hoping that the subject doesn't get brought up. I almost worry ahead of time when I go into a situation where the whole scenario is a possibility.

4 comments:

Allie said...

I hate "the question", too, mostly because it's not easy explaining to most people why I, being a female, want to go into the FBI as a career. I never bring it up, but somehow it ALWAYS gets brought up...I've learned to anticipate the question. Don't worry about whether they accept the career or not.(though I might not drop the whole EOD thing on most people)

Just tell them that's what you want to do and go on. If they accept it, that's great. If they don't, then just move on. I've had similar discussions with people who just don't understand. I just smile and nod, and tell them that this is where I feel that God wants me.

I actually get the "Oh, you must have your parents worried to death!" comment all the time, except mine normally comes in the form of "Are you SURE your parents are alright with you pursuing this? Because I know I wouldn't be if my kid was looking at the FBI." That's probably the one I hate the most.

David said...

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."




You are the better man...







I don't know if I will neccessarily desire my children to be wealthy and famous and live safe cushy lives. That's what society says they should seek after, but what good is it really?
I don't know if I'll actually adhere to this when the time comes, but I think I'd rather have my children love and serve God, man, and country, and "raise a flag in the fiercest part of the battle, where it has never before been raised"

julie said...

I despise the question, but I've come to realize that this is the generic question adults gravitate towards, and I just have to make the best of it. If they were talking to any elementary aged child, "the question" would be "what is your favorite subject in school?" And I hate that question too. But to an old person, asking a person's favorite school subject is not nearly interesting as finding out what the student will be doing as a career. When we reach the age we are now, the adult thinks, "finally! this is a question that I can ask virtually any student, and start an interesting [to the adult] conversation in which perhaps I will be able to impart my profound wisdom and give some sage advice regarding their life decisions." The adult does not consider that 99.9% of his peers have happened upon the same bright idea. And from the adult's perspective, he knows lots of young people who will all have different answers. Thus, asking and comparing answers from different students is interesting. For the student, his answer is always the same, and it may be unexciting and sketchy and unknown. Then it is especially depressing to answer this question.

I know that I should be thankful that there are people who are interested enough to ask. What an frequent opportunity draw on the Lord's help to be completely gracious and sweet, even though I am about to tear my hair out. I am determined, that when I am on the other side of this fence, I will find such creative ways to ask this question that the kids will not even know I am asking it.

For now, I'll just come up with some creative answers for my side of the conversation. "Well, I've heard there's really a demand for paper napkin design artists..."

Peter Calamy said...

You always have known that I am very much in support of you serving our Lord (as a Christian) and our country (as a soldier), and that goes for both you and David. I dreaded that question when I was in high school, and I dread it now. I've gotten to the point of giving an intentionally vague answer indicating a broad direction of my vocational interests, and then tagging a nice big disclaimer about how I am trying to focus on God and discern what is His plan for me. It seems to cover all the bases, haha!