Monday, September 10, 2007

Have you forgotten?

Or do you still remember?

I do. Like it was yesterday...


I was ten.

My mom was ironing. I was doing math homework in my room. It was a Tuesday, so we were going to leave for 4-H soon...I was hoping that it would get in the way of my homework and delay it for a little while. My door was open, so I heard the phone ring. It was a homeschool mom. She told us to turn on the TV and I heard the exclamation from my mom...

That summer we had visited the memorial to the Oklahoma City Bombing. When I saw the two towers on the screen smoking, I thought it was an explosion (mostly accidental). Then I saw my mom sit down and cry. I read the words and the screen, and they said something about The World Trade Center. I confused this with the stock exchange, and images of being homeless ran through my mind.

Shortly after that, the towers fell.

Then we heard about the Pentagon.

My uncle was supposed to be in the Pentagon on that morning. By the grace of God, he was somewhere else. With my parents being in the reserves, we had people calling the house all day to ask if they were being deployed. My brother was out in the middle of the Med. when it happened. We didn't hear from him for weeks. My great uncle, a Lt. Col. and police chief (both Ret.), had a nephew who was killed on the north tower.


That day was a nightmare for a ten year-old.


If you know me well enough, you can probably guess my views towards Islam and terrorism. I do not need to express them and might not even do it when asked. You can probably guess for yourself.

I just have one request: Don't ever forget.

2 comments:

Allie said...

I can still remember that day like it was yesterday as well. I was 11. Mom was sitting in the living room folding laundry on the couch. I was sitting on the floor reading. The phone rang, and it was my aunt. I can remember her asking mom if she had the tv on. When mom told her no, she said to cut it on.

I didn’t completely understand what was going on at first. I knew that planes had just hit the WTC, but didn’t know what that meant for Americans. I watched in horror as not one, but 2 planes hit. Finally, I couldn’t handle the images anymore. I ran to my room, and turned on the radio. I ran back into the living room when I heard the 1st tower fall.

And then when the Pentagon was hit…that was the worst for me. One of our family friends works in the section of the Pentagon that was hit. I can remember talking to his mom, and all the tears that we all shed that day, not having a clue where he was. We finally found out late that afternoon that he was on a flight to London at the time.

That night, our church held a candlelight vigil. I can remember standing in church, surrounded by both friends, regular church attendees, and people I’m sure had never seen the inside of a church. It didn’t matter, though. We were all united.

I will never forget that day. It was a nightmare, but it also strengthened us as a nation.

Euphreana said...

I regret...
My family was on a camping trip the morning of 9/11. I cringe when I remember the first thing that went through my head -
"Okay... but it doesn't concern me."
I hadn't seen the pictures or actually anything else untill last year. Then the whole thing opened up and hit me.