Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I just have a funny story to tell today; nothing serious or thoughtful (as if my posts are).

When my grandpa was out working at Point Mugu, CA, they were doing a lot of missile tests and such. One day, they were launching drones so that pilots could come in behind them and practice. The Brits were doing it this day. In the drone, there were two fuel tanks: One that took up the front and the middle of the drone, and one auxil. tank that was in the back. The Brits accidentally filled up just the auxil. tank, apparently because of a lack of communication, putting all of the weight on the back of the drone. When the drone was launched ahead of the pilot it pretty much did a back flip, sending the drone over the base and causing the pilot to make some quick maneuvers. :)

Remind me to tell you about the Nike missile sometime...

3 comments:

Peter Calamy said...

One can only imagine the colorful language coming from that cockpit:)

David said...

whoops...


Hey, did you hear that the Osprey is being deployed to the sandbox soon?

TBT said...

No I didn't. I had one of those fly low over my old house and I was impressed. I don't know if I'd want to jump out of one, though.