Monday, April 30, 2007

Isn't it ironic...

I saw a recent mugshot on The Smoking Gun the other day and it made me sad. It was evident that the dude had been huffing because he had silver spray paint all around his mouth and nose. It reminded me of one incident I had when I was a little bit younger. I was working on a model outside and when I bent over to spray paint the body, I shot myself in the face. It was...unpleasant to say the least. My mom comforted me by saying that every female does that at least once with a can of hairspray. I was glad that I did something stupid while attempting to do something worthwhile at the same time, unlike hairspray. Ha. Anyways, that image brought back the memory of that incident. Now it has made me think about how irrational we as humans are. It's obvious that if we as Christians believe that God is who He says He is, we can conclude that sin is irrational. Most people when they do something like drugs, they are acting out of selfish ambitions. I want to get high, I want to get stupid drunk, I want to smoke, I want to take steroids, etc. I want to feel good. It's those lusts of the flesh. However, these ambitions are not selfish enough if we want to do the right thing. If we really cared about ourselves, we wouldn't do these things because of their health effects. I found that interesting.

1 comment:

Allie said...

That's very true. I've seen the effects of alcohol, (not just a little tipsy, but serious drunkenness) within my family (not my parents, but other family members and their friends). I still can't understand why the buzz they get can outweigh the personal safety, personal health, etc.